| From 1860-1890 the RHSC was at Laursiton Lane, initially at no. 7 and then from 1863 at Meadowside House, formerly a reformatory, |
.From Hislop's new plan of Edinburgh + Leith with suburbs published by Bartholomews 1865 from National Library of Scotland
From 'The Story of the Hospital'
Flora Masson, 1906
(Courtesy of Lothian Health Service Archives, Edinburgh University Library)
'The charity dates from as far back as the year 1860, when a Children’s Hospital was opened, with twenty beds and a little dispensary, in a small house in Lauriston Lane; and never since that day has it wanted for kind and generous support from the people of Edinburgh and the people of Scotland.
'Three years later, the Hospital was moved into Meadowside House, still in Lauriston, where at first there were 40 cots; and Queen Victoria then granted her Royal Patronage to the Charity.
'In 1870 a new wing was added to the old house, making accommodation for 72 children. But, 20 years after this, in 1890, Old Meadowside House was found to be antiquated, overcrowded and insanitary. Fever broke out in it. Happily the ground on which it stood was needed for an extension of the Royal Infirmary.'
|Illustration by Cate James|
It was whilst here that the managers of the 'Sick Kids' had some problems with their Matron (and the consumption of wine). Read more here. It's also when the 'Ladies' Committee was established. Read more about their powers here.